Cybersecurity Study Visits in the U.S: extended deadline the application until October 30, 2020
Universitate, Altele / 2020 - 2021
The Romanian-U.S. Fulbright Commission together with Fulbright Commissions based in Poland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovak Republic invites you to apply for cybersecurity study visits in the U.S. A 3-week visit designed for university representatives, will be organized in the second half of 2021 (possibly June and/or September 2021, the final d
Please note: Due to the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic and limitations it poses on international travel, the 3-week visit is rescheduled for the second half of 2021 and the application deadline is extended until October 30, 2020. The exact dates of the visit are to be established. Updates will be published on our website and communicated via email to those who apply.
We welcome applications from academics representing universities that have cybersecurity programs (or with a program near to open).
► Recruitment criteria & eligibility:
• Scholars from both public and private universities are invited to apply.
• Participants from the following countries are eligible to apply: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Slovak Republic.
• Applicants with English command at a minimum B2 level can apply.
• Scholars from universities that plan to establish new, well-designed cybersecurity programs and/or foster the development and strengthening of already existing ones are eligible for the program.
• Applicants with strong academic and/or professional background in the field, position allowing actual influence on the cybersecurity program conducted or planned at their institution and a strong motivation to work on that are our priority.
• All else being equal, preference is given to early career scholars.
► Learning objectives:
• to acquaint participants with the scope of cybersecurity studies conducted in the U.S., the catalogue of specializations and most common course content/curriculum;
• to showcase several examples of successful cybersecurity Ms/ Bs/ certification programs run by distinguished U.S. universities;
• to reflect upon best practices in organizing and running cybersecurity programs;
• to discuss the most current challenges in cybersecurity and studies devoted to the subject;
• to familiarize the group with the latest developments in cybersecurity.
Note: Romanian citizens who are currently residing in the U.S., have been residents in the U.S. for five or more years in the previous six years preceding the date of the application or have recently graduated from a U.S. academic institution are ineligible to apply. The preference for candidates without extensive previous experience in the U.S. applies at each stage of competition.
► The program of the visit features:
• Travel to several locations in the U.S.: Washington D.C., Virginia, Georgia, and California.
• A 5-day-long training program at Marymount University – see proposed draft program.
• Meetings with several universities’ faculty and administrators of cybersecurity programs (i.e. Marymount University, Virginia Tech).
• Meetings with practitioners in the field of cybersecurity – both business and state-related entities.
• Visits to tech companies.
• Highlights* expected to be included: University of California Berkeley and/or Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the big five tech companies headquarters (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or Google).
*Please note: We do not guarantee meetings with entities explicitly named here. Efforts will be made to secure the specified meetings but in some cases suitable alternatives may be arranged.
The final program will be tailored to the specific needs of the recruited group.
The program is offered free of charge and with following costs covered by the organizers: insurance, visa costs, flights to/from the U.S. and local travel in the U.S., hotels, meals and incidental expenses while in the U.S. Participants are required to cover local transportation costs in their own countries if necessary, personal expenses and miscellaneous. The program is conducted entirely in English with no translation provided.
To apply for cybersecurity study visit please fill in the online application form linked below:
► NEW application deadline: October 30, 2020
You can download a PDF version of the application form here to go through the list of questions. Please note:
• the PDF file is for reference only – applications have to be submitted via Jotform.com;
• you are expected to provide us with a list of 3 persons (+contact details) whom we can ask for recommendations; you are expected to upload a letter of support from a supervisor at your home university describing plans for opening cybersecurity program, if your university does not have one yet;